FrostArt Logo FrostArt Fabric

31 March 2020

Life has changed, the world feels different

With all that is going on just now I can say I am truly grateful for many things. Including family, friends and clients and of course my health.


Even in this season of uncertainty I am thankful for creativity and the ability to escape into the the unlimited possibilities of imagination and creativity. I hope you are finding time and opportunities to do the things that really bring you joy.

I seem to move from pure joy in the unexpected extra time to slow down, really connect with what matters, to times of light anxiety about what the future holds and wondering when we will be able to meet family and enjoy their company, digital communication is fine but you don't get the hugs!

These are such uncertain times, I think we need to be kind to ourselves and others. I can't remember when we last had time to think and just be, so try to take advantage of this time. Allow yourself to feel whatever it is you feel, do whatever you feel like doing or not doing. Just sit and watch the natural world, trust that all will be well, all is well, and hard as it is at this moment, I am sure there will be good and creative times ahead.
We are making good use of extra time working from home, which for us is not unusual but we are restricted from visiting family, going to galleries and out for meals with friends. Performances, presentations, meetings and all workshops have been postponed or cancelled until further notice.

So far I have cleared my little allotment copse, keeping it clear of some weeds and making good use of the early nettles to make salads, soups and pesto, with the wild garlic growing alongside it makes a wonderful early salad! I have also been cutting the holes in the plastic bigger for the plants that were planted several years ago. Over time, as the willow stems grow bigger, the plastic does not expand any further, so they need cutting to enable future growth. I am also pulling all the briars from the older willow beds, they are just budding at the moment and I hope will produce better harvest for being cared for.
I am really thankful for the community of makers, student s and colleagues, it is always a pleasure to run workshops and collaborate. I will be holding everyone in mind, if there is anything I can help do get in touch. I am here.

I have also had spent some time to refine skills in the workshop and studio, developing some new pieces of work and reading all the books that are either left half read, or unread because of other demands on my time. I trust the results of this will be seen in the work that you see or the workshops you take part in future.

To see what is happening in my world of making, with recycled materials, willow and planned online workshops and sales go to the news page on the workshops website.

Stay safe and well, keep on making, weaving and being creative!